Monday, January 02, 2006

High School (1995-1998)

Caroline Chisholm High - I absolutely loved High School. Even though there were times where I would be teased, it was still the best time in my life. I wouldn't change anything.

Sometimes I don't know how I fit everything in. I was a part of mock trials, debating, Duke of Edinburgh, choir, SRC, math competitions, most committees under the sun, and all that on top of completing homework and assignments. I'm starting to get exhausted just thinking about it.

In year 10 we went to Bali for an excursion for Indonesian class. That was 10 days of absolute bliss. We couldn't go to Jakarta because of political reasons of the times, but was went to a lot of out of the way places to get to know the culture. In fact, we only spent half a day in Kuta, and it wasn't my favourite part of the trip.

Year 10 was also when we created ASOVO (All kinds of vivid obsessions). Kristy, Elysha, Em and I loved to sing so much we started an a capella group. We would jump up and down crazily when a harmony worked perfectly in practice.

During grade 9 and 10 I did some junior helping at a riding school on weekends. Basically cleaning tack, getting horses ready for their lessons, feeding, cleaning stables and putting the horses out at night. In return for this I would be given a free lesson. So, you can imagine I got to know the horses well and I fell in love with Tristan (a horse). He was a gorgeous glossy chocolate. At this particular time, Tristan had hurt his hind leg and had become lame, so he was recovering in a paddock close to the tack stables. I would steal down in my free moments and visit him to bring him apples and carrots and just generally spoil him. At the end of the lesson time-slots on this particular day I was on my way to see him. As soon as I stepped out of the stable his head lifted in the paddock 500 m away to neigh, and he walked toward the fence in my direction. It was absolutely obvious to me that he was welcoming me or calling me and he watched my progress all the way down to him. When I got to him started doing that head rub-nudge that horses do. It is one of my most beautiful and favourite memories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home