Primary School (1988-1994)
Viewbank (Victoria) - One day in year 4, while we were in the middle of our routine P.E. session, a strange thing occurred. Now as some people know, my hand-eye co-ordination is not good at the best of times, and I prefer such individual sports as horseriding and dancing over team sports where more than just yourself relies on your ability.
This particular day we happened to be playing cricket. I had taken my usual left outfield (I don't know the proper name) position, where no balls usually came. This ensured I could wander off in my own little mind. Suddenly the batter hit the tennis ball high in the air right in my direction. I thought to myself "There's no way I'm going to catch this." Everyone was yelling at me to catch the ball.
*BLANK SPACE*. The next thing I know I look down in my hands and the ball is right there. I look up and everyone is cheering. But I could swear I had just looked at it flying over my head and my hands were by my side. I have no idea how I caught the ball, but the whole reason why I remember this event so vividly is because I DONT remember how I caught it... I know it's all very butterfly effect.
The Daddy Walks - When our family would go to the beach we would inevitably end up going for a little walk up or down the shoreline. I would try and walk in "Daddy's" footsteps. Dad started trying to trick me by walking backwards, or just digging his toes in, or just his heels. There was even a dot-dash kind of pattern: drag the heel and dig in the toe. I could never keep up with his run though.
And you know when you go to the beach and there is that sand-crust - when it is really hot? - It was fun to try and not make a dent in that as I walked on it.
There was also the "moon-walk". I'm not quite sure when we came up with the concept, but it involved a long halway (or long stretch of carpet, great if it could go the length of the house). The procedure was always carried out indoors and involved the old favourite "step on Dad's feet", except probably cost Dad a whole lot more energy than the usual dance/walk around. Once I took my place, Dad would do sideways skip-jumps the whole length, while kind of lifting me in the air a little - so it seemed like I had less gravity - hence the moon walk.
Metford (NSW) - Kindergarten : One lunch time my group of friends were all sitting in a circle (maybe playing duck, duck, goose) when a boy came and sat next to me... really close. I knew he liked me, he would hang around me constantly. Anyway, I ran away theough the grassy playground and he chased me, but I always kept in front. Just when he was gaining I got back to the group and squeezed myself between two friends - so he couldn't possibly sit next to me. The look on his face made me feel sad, but at least I had got away... from what I'm not quite sure.
Another recess I was happily playing and minding my own buisiness (maybe tip or hide-and-seek) when I had absentmindedly wandered into an out of bounds area. A nasty year 6 peer mediator came over and scolded me and said if I went there again I'd be in trouble. I was totally aghast that I had been scolded, I never did anything wrong! So I sulked away and cried a little. From then on, whenever I went to breaks in the same general area I would peek around the building corner first to make sure that girl wasn't anywhere near.
This particular day we happened to be playing cricket. I had taken my usual left outfield (I don't know the proper name) position, where no balls usually came. This ensured I could wander off in my own little mind. Suddenly the batter hit the tennis ball high in the air right in my direction. I thought to myself "There's no way I'm going to catch this." Everyone was yelling at me to catch the ball.
*BLANK SPACE*. The next thing I know I look down in my hands and the ball is right there. I look up and everyone is cheering. But I could swear I had just looked at it flying over my head and my hands were by my side. I have no idea how I caught the ball, but the whole reason why I remember this event so vividly is because I DONT remember how I caught it... I know it's all very butterfly effect.
The Daddy Walks - When our family would go to the beach we would inevitably end up going for a little walk up or down the shoreline. I would try and walk in "Daddy's" footsteps. Dad started trying to trick me by walking backwards, or just digging his toes in, or just his heels. There was even a dot-dash kind of pattern: drag the heel and dig in the toe. I could never keep up with his run though.
And you know when you go to the beach and there is that sand-crust - when it is really hot? - It was fun to try and not make a dent in that as I walked on it.
There was also the "moon-walk". I'm not quite sure when we came up with the concept, but it involved a long halway (or long stretch of carpet, great if it could go the length of the house). The procedure was always carried out indoors and involved the old favourite "step on Dad's feet", except probably cost Dad a whole lot more energy than the usual dance/walk around. Once I took my place, Dad would do sideways skip-jumps the whole length, while kind of lifting me in the air a little - so it seemed like I had less gravity - hence the moon walk.
Metford (NSW) - Kindergarten : One lunch time my group of friends were all sitting in a circle (maybe playing duck, duck, goose) when a boy came and sat next to me... really close. I knew he liked me, he would hang around me constantly. Anyway, I ran away theough the grassy playground and he chased me, but I always kept in front. Just when he was gaining I got back to the group and squeezed myself between two friends - so he couldn't possibly sit next to me. The look on his face made me feel sad, but at least I had got away... from what I'm not quite sure.
Another recess I was happily playing and minding my own buisiness (maybe tip or hide-and-seek) when I had absentmindedly wandered into an out of bounds area. A nasty year 6 peer mediator came over and scolded me and said if I went there again I'd be in trouble. I was totally aghast that I had been scolded, I never did anything wrong! So I sulked away and cried a little. From then on, whenever I went to breaks in the same general area I would peek around the building corner first to make sure that girl wasn't anywhere near.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home